Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Crockpot "Refried" Beans

We love refried beans! We have it with everything that resembles a Mexican feast.(yeah, that's kinda racist. But you know what I mean...) Tacos, Burritos, and Nachos and so on. Usually we buy the big pack of Rosarita's from Costco. But since we eat so much of it, it can get expensive. 

Cue the internet...and this recipe was made! Who knew you can make this kind of stuff in the Crockpot!!! After a lot of searching and trying out recipes and not really liking any of them, I made up my own.


This is what it looks like after it's been busy doing it's thing in the Crockpot. The beans have gotten softened, the flavors have married and it's time to break them up. Aw, sad! It's a good thing they're not people! hahaha


I used a good ole potatoe masher to break up the beans. Depending on how chunky you want your beans, you can have a great arm workout or not! We like an in between stage of chunks. Not too wholly, not too mashed.

Since this makes a whole bunch, we freeze whatever we don't use right away.  Pull some out whenever you have a hankering for a fiesta. Yummy, cheap, and good for you!



Recipe:

1 large onion, diced
2 lbs of dried pinto beans
2 t of cumin, salt
1 t of black pepper
1/4 t of paprika
2 T of minced garlic
5 t of chicken buillion
10 C of hot water

I did not soak these beans overnight. I've done that before and, to me, they make no difference. I just put everything in the Crockpot and let it cook for 10 hours on Low. After it is done, taste it to see if it needs more salt or pepper to your liking. I did not drain any of the liquid either. I guess we like it kinda runny. If you want yours thicker, scoop out some of the liquid before you start mashing it. However, don't chuck it yet. You might need it later, if your beans end up too thick. You can pour some back in.

Hope you all like it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...